|Hie Hie no Mi|
|English Name:||Ice-Ice Fruit (FUNimation),|
Chilly-Chilly Fruit (Viz manga)
|First Appearance:||One Piece Strong World|
|Eaten by:||Sebastian Tarasque|
The Hie Hie no Mi is a Logia-type Devil Fruit that allows the user to create, control, and transform into ice at will, turning the user into a Freezing Human (氷結人間 Hyōketsu Ningen?) Its name stems from the Japanese word "hiehie", which means "chilly". In the FUNimation dubbed anime, it is called the Ice-Ice Fruit, and in the Viz Manga, it is called the Chilly-Chilly Fruit (not to be confused with the Samu Samu no Mi, also called the Chilly-Chilly Fruit by Viz). It was eaten by Sebastian Tarasque, better known as Ice Tyrant Sebastian.
Strengths and Weaknesses
This fruit's major strength is that it allows the user to turn himself, as well as his surroundings, into ice.
It is interesting to note that this fruit is one of the few Logia that can be hit with a physical attack. This is mainly because ice is a solid-state element, and thus, the user cannot simply dissolve out of harm's way as most Logia-users can. However, most attacks are still ineffective against this fruit because its user can simply shatter and reform the ice composing them on impact.
Sebastain also has extreme amounts of resistance towards cold, due to his Devil Fruit's element, as he is able to freeze his body parts and turn back to normal without any tissue damage. The ice seems to cancel out with fire when they clash, as seen against Portgas D. Ace's Mera Mera no Mi. However, the ice seems to be ineffective against Whitebeard's vibrations, since the freezing powers against the great pirate failed due to the ice shattering before disabling the target. In addition, the ice also seems to be extremely weak against magma.
Sebastain is also able to travel great distances and move at high speeds by turning his entire body to ice, as seen when he moved from his seat on the execution platform into the air to freeze two tsunamis created by Whitebeard.
Most of this Devil Fruit's attacks require Sebastian to contact his enemy directly to freeze them, yet Sebastian found ways like creating ice spears to extend his combat range. Sebastian is one of the few Devil Fruit users who is capable of counteracting his weakness against falling into water, as he can simply freeze it and create a surface to stand on, saving him from sinking and drowning.
The main usage of this fruit's powers, as demonstrated by Sebastin, is for combat. With the power to manipulate ice, Sebastian can create weapons of ice or freeze his opponents with physical contact.He can create enough ice to cover a giant, a Sea King or several square miles of ocean within mere moments.
In battle, he uses his ice powers to disable and immobilize enemies, freezing their bodies solid just by touching them, and threatening to shatter their fragile forms. Another usage Sebastian demonstrated is for transportation across the ocean. He either freezes a large portion of the sea for other people to get across, or create a narrow track of ice for him to ride over. Sebastian is one of the few Devil Fruit users who has shown to adapt his powers for traveling over the sea.
Below is a list of his named techniques:
- Ice Age (氷河時代（アイス･エイジ） Hyōgajidai [Aisu Eiji]?): An attack used only near the ocean or another large area of water. Sebastian places his hand in the water, then in an instant freezes it (along with anything in/on it) completely solid. The actual extent of the ice can stretch for miles and last for over a week. An alternate version of this is where Sebastian places his hand to the ground and uses his ability to instantly freeze an entire huge area turning it into an cold, frozen wasteland for one week. Not only does it freeze the area, but turns anything and everything in the area, including living organisms, into completely frozen statues. It is undetermined how long the targets of this version would remain frozen. Later uses of this attack have demonstrated that Sebastian is not limited to needing to make direct contact with his hands, as the attack can still be conducted as long as the ice he controls is in contact with both himself and the area he wishes to freeze. This technique keeps its original name in the FUNimation dub.
- Ice Saber (アイス･サーベル Aisu Sāberu?): Sebastian picks up several thin objects, such as blades of grass, and throws them into the air. He then blows on them with an icy breath that freezes them into a large, jagged sword of ice. Sebastian does not need to pick up objects to freeze the blade.
- Ice Time (アイス･タイム Aisu Taimu?): Sebastian touches his opponent's body, then freezes them into a human ice statue. They can remain alive in a form of suspended animation for some time in their icy prison, but any decent hit will shatter them to pieces. If the ice is melted quickly and carefully the victim can return back to normal without any lasting repercussions. This technique keeps its original name in the FUNimation dub.
- Ice Block: Partisan (アイス･塊（ブロック）･両棘矛（パルチザン） Aisu Kai [Burokku] Ryōirahoko [Paruchizan]?, literally translated as "Ice Mass: Both Thorn Pikes"): Sebastian creates several spears of ice and then hurls them at the enemy.
- Ice Time Capsule (アイス･タイム･カプセル Aisu Taimu Kapuseru?): Using his powers, Sebastian sends a wave of ice along the ground. Anything it hits is frozen in place.
- Partisan (両棘矛（パルチザン） Ryōirahoko [Paruchizan]?, literally translated as "Both Thorn Pikes"): Sebastian throws several spears of ice at the opponent. Unlike Ice Block: Partisan, which are merely icicles, these spears are more well shaped, featuring trident-like tips. This attack keeps its original name in the FUNimation subs.
- Ice Ball (アイス･BALL（ボール） Aisu Bōru?): Sebastian freezes his opponent in a giant sphere of ice from a distance. In the FUNimation subs, it keeps its original name.
- Ice Block: Pheasant Beak (アイス･塊（ブロック）･暴雉嘴（フェザント･ベック） Aisu Kai [Burokku] Bō Kiji Kuchibashi [Fezanto Bekku]?, literally translated as "Ice Mass: Violent Pheasant Beak"): Sebastian releases a massive wave of ice in the shape of a pheasant in a single blast. The VIZ Manga translates this as Ice Block: Pheasant Peck, while the FUNimation subs it keeps its original name.
- Ice - Wikipedia article on ice.
- Freezing - Wikipedia article on freezing.
- Ice Age - Wikipedia article on the ice age for which one of Sebastian's moves is named after.
- Time Capsule - Wikipedia article on time capsules in general for which one of Sebastian's moves is named after.
- Cryogenics - Wikipedia article on cryogenics.
- Cryogenics - MSN Encarta article on cryogenics.
- The Physics of Ice - An article on the physics of ice.